Affordable LED ring flash and continuous light - good value for money.
Full name: APUTURE AHL-C60 5500K 60-LED White Macro Ring Light for Camera - Black (4 x AA)
Webshop: DX.com (Deal Extreme)
Price: $33.99 (Free shipping)
Tested, without any vignetting (it sticks out about 23mm in front of the lens), with the following lenses on a Canon 60D camera:
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM (67 mm filter ring)
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM (77 mm filter ring)
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II (52 mm filter ring)
Tested and had problems with the following lenses on a Canon 60D
- Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD (62 mm filter ring): On this lens you will get black and/or white vignetting between about 18mm to 35mm.
- Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (58 mm filter ring): On this lens you will get vignetting between 18mm to 20mm.
Compared to many others it is cheap. It has fairly good, strong light although it could have been better (you never get enough, right?). Lightweight, easy to handle and lots of attachment rings to fit just about any lens. The rings feels like good quality plastic that won't break. The cable seems strong and sturdy. You can chose between having light on the right side, left side or both at the same time.
Although the cable seems strong and of good quality it could have been coiled. I couldn't get the flash to fire in flash mode with my Canon 60D even though it communicates with my camera by turning on the assist light when it should.. The tightening ring on the hotshoe is plastic, I would have trusted it more if it was metal. The control lights on the back is a bit bright, unnecessary bright, not a big problem but still. The light is fairly bright at the lowest setting. EDIT: It sticks too far out for some lenses and gives vignetting (see above).
Very useful and affordable ring light / flash for macro photography or for getting a nice light or shine in models' eyes in normal photography and video.
Buy it here